Just like you need nutrients from food and water, plants need different elements from the soil to grow.
If these elements aren’t present in the right amounts, plants won’t be as healthy and may die.
Fertilizer adds nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium to the soil.
Your recently viewed items
However, over fertilizing isn’t good either and can also kill plants.
Finding the best organic vegetable fertilizer can be challenging…
Different Fertilizer for Various Plants and Vegetables
Click the play button above to watch a quick video about fertilizer…
The same species of plant that is grown indoors or outdoors will have different fertilizing needs.
Plants that are grown indoors will not need as much fertilizer as the ones grown outside.
However, the rate of growth is slower indoors and you can easily harm your plant by over-fertilizing it.
How do you know how much fertilizer to give to your plants and when to feed it to them?
If you’ve purchased a plant meant for the indoors chances are the information tag it comes with will give fertilizing instructions.
But a better method to follow is observing your plant for any signs that would indicate it’s lacking nutrients.
Your plant might need fertilizer if it is not growing as fast as it should, but this could also mean it needs more sun light.
If you notice the growth of the plant is stunted and it is spring or summer you can safely add vegetable fertilizer in small amounts over a period of one to two weeks.
Many inside gardeners will add vegetable garden fertilizer as part of routine maintenance each spring and that is fine too.
Just be careful not too over-fertilize.
Gardening Tip for Fertilizing:
Some signs that you have added to much fertilizer are the tip of the leaves are turning brown or the leaves are drooping downwards.
All vegetable garden fertilizers are not made the same and are available in different ratios of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.
Purchase a fertilizer meant for indoor plants and vegetables or that’s mixed for your specific type of plant.
If your not sure which is the best fertilizer to buy here’s a couple of popular organic fertilizers with lots of reviews on Amazon.
Organic Fertilizer for Vegetables
- All Purpose Organic Granular Fertilizer
- Easy to use
- This product is manufactured in United States
- All purpose organic granular fertilizers
- Fast acting 100 percent organic formulas to meet all gardening needs
- Increases microorganism activity for healthier, living soils
- Faster results you can really see from an organic fertilizer
- Contains billions of archaea, the beneficial microorganism that aggressively break down organic materials for more abundant, faster results
- Jibe’s Organic Vegetable Fertilizer Spikes 2-7-4 Fertilizer spikes feed plants at the roots, where they need it most
- Active Ingredients: Nitrogen, Phosphate, Potash, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur
- This product is made in United States
- Organic fertilizer for all vegetables
- OMRI listed
- Easy to use
- No mixing, no measuring, no mess
- Pack of 50; NPK 2-7-4
We want to know!
Please comment below and let beginner gardeners know which fertilizer you end up buying for you vegetable plants?